Friday, December 30, 2005

Fearing God and the Holy Spirit

I was reading this am in Isaiah 11 where it speaks prophectically of the Messiah Yeshua and how the Spirit of the Lord will rest on Him. In verse 2, the Spirit is described as a Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of counsel and of power, the Spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord.

I think of the Spirit in terms of giving us wisdom and understanding as Jesus promised in John 16 that the Spirit would lead us into truth. I think of the Spirit being a Spirit of power whether reading when Paul reminds Timothy in his 2nd letter to him that God did not give us a spirit of timidity but a Spirit of power, of love and self-discipline, or when Jesus tells the apostles in Acts 1:8 that when the Spirit comes we will have power to be His witnesses in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria and to the remotest part of the earth.

But I rarely think of the Spirit being a Spirit of the fear of the Lord. It makes sense in that Paul tells us in Galatians 5 that if we walk in the Spirit we will not fulfilled the desire of the flesh. That is very similar to what Moses tells the congregation in Exodus 20 about fearing God keeping you from sinning.

Isaiah goes on to write in 11:3 that the Messiah will delight in the fear of the Lord. I am sitting here in The Press coffeeshop at a time I should be heading home wondering if anyone would write that about me. Could I put my name in there? Andy will delight in the fear of the Lord. May it be so.

I better get home and help Robin with the boys!

No comments: