Thursday, December 22, 2005

Thirst

In my quiet times lately I have been doing a random plan but it seemed this morning like they all had similar themes. This morning all but the Proverb I read referred to being thirsty and the water that satisfies. It was so ironic that I thought I should write about it.

In Psalm 107 it says the Lord turned the desert into pools of water and the parched ground into flowing springs. In Is. 44:3, the Lord says that He will pour water on the thirsty land and streams on the dry ground; He will pour out His Spirit on our offspring and His blessing on our descendents. In Rev 22, it speaks of the river of the water of life that flows from the throne. Near the end, the Spirit and the Bride say, "Come! Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes let him take the free gift of the water of life." And finally one of my fav. Passages is John 7:37-39 where Jesus cries with a loud voice, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink." He speaks of the streams of living water that will flow from within the one who believes in Him and John explains that Jesus was talking about the Holy Spirit.

My friend Deb who helps oversee all of the campus ministry for Campus Crusade in Western Europe says, "hard ground is thirsty ground". It reminds me that even people who are not aware of it are thirsty. The folks in this very new age coffee shop where I now sit are thirsty. People crowding the malls are thirsty. Everyone in his very soul is thirsty. The invitation to come and drink the free gift is there.

No comments: