Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The Promise for the Bedouin

I was reading in Psalms 120 and David says while on the run, "Woe to me that I live among the tents of Kedar". It made me ask, who is Kedar?

As I searched I came across the passage in Isaiah 60 which is about Jerusalem - Zion - and her future glory. The Prophet starts off by saying: "Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the LORD rises upon you. See, darkness covers the earth and thick darkness is over the peoples, but the LORD rises upon you and his glory appears over you. Nations will come to your light, and kings to the brightness of your dawn."

Then in verse 7: "All Kedar's flocks will be gathered to you, the rams of Nebaioth will serve you; they will be accepted as offerings on my altar, and I will adorn my glorious temple." Nebaioth and Kedar are the first two sons of Ishmael. (Genesis 25:12-14 ). The descendents of Kedar were warriors and shepherds who lived in dark tents. (Psalm 120:5; SS 1:5; Is 21:16-18; Ez 27:21). They are the Bedouin, followers of Islam.

Yet the promise here is that Ishmael's seed will worship the true God - Jehovah - one day. Lest we think its just their sheep and rams that will be gathered to be sacrificed, we need to read Isaiah 42 about the Messiah: "Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen one in whom I delight; I will put my Spirit on him and he will bring justice to the nations. He will not shout or cry out, or raise his voice in the streets. A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out. In faithfulness he will bring forth justice... I will keep you and will make you to be a covenant for the people and a light for the Gentiles... Let the desert and its towns raise their voices; let the settlements where Kedar lives rejoice... Let them give glory to the LORD and proclaim his praise in the islands..."

May God's promise that people from all nations will come to worship Him come to pass! May the Prince of Peace, who doesn't even break a bruised reed, come quickly and bring peace to Zion and on Earth!

No comments: