Thursday, September 14, 2006

Bringing Jesus into the Chaos: Jason and Lis

You might be wondering who Jason and Lis are. While Jason and Lis do have the spiritual gift of obscurity, the reason you may not recognize them is that they were not at the STINT Leader's training this summer. Jason and Lis attended the 2005 STINT Leader's Training and I guess they didn't know what Sam, Lucas, Emily M., Alexis, John R., Francine, and Drew all know, that the coming back for a 2nd year is worth it. :)
I am actually here in Mexico with Jason and Lis as I blog. They are giving leadership to the STINT team under the umbrella of CityFocus (Enfoque Mexico. See also the website in Spanish) to launch movements on the over 300 campuses in Mexico City. The CityFocus vision is that in three years there will be movements on every university, among every faculty (department) and for every student in this city of 26 million. The WSN Leadership is down here this week for our national meetings. We spent yesterday (Tuesday) joining the STINTers and staff here dividing up and going to over 20 campuses to look for student leaders to help launch movements on each campus. It was the offical launch of Enfoque Mexico.

Jason lead a devo early this morning to those of us here with WSN. Instead of hearing from me again, I thought you might to hear from one of your own. Here is the gist of what he said...

"During our commissioning at our STINT Briefing a few weeks ago God broke my heart more for the Mexican people. There has been a lot of chaos and mayhem down here because of the recent presidential elections, which were very close in votes. The loser has been rallying people to protest and different parts of the city have shut down. So I was starting to worry about all the chaos we were going to be walking into: would the girls be safe, is it wise for us to be there, and other concerns. I was worried about walking into the chaos of it all and I heard Jesus say to me, 'I want you to bring Me into that chaos.' "

"God was showing me this was a great opportunity for His glory to shine in the midst of great chaos. This is an opportunity to bring hope and light, love and forgiveness to people who so desperately need it. I sensed God inviting me to trust him with my life & team, and walk into a dark situation, bringing them the light and hope found only in Jesus Christ! I shared this with the team and Skye told me that Jesus had shared the exact thing with her on the metro. She was thinking about the chaos of things and heard God say to her. 'Invite me into this chaos.' I told her it's so neat how God is speaking similar things to his people. She stopped me and said, 'The exact same things.' She was right. Our God Almighty, is speaking the exact same things into his people and is inviting us to trust him and believe him for a spiritual revival among the people of Mexico. "

Leading a STINT team - whether in a city of 26 million trying to launch 300 movements or something maybe a tab bit smaller - is chaotic. Life whether overseas or in US causes a lot of internal chaos as well. I think what the Lord told Jason and his teammate Skye is true for all of us. He wants us to bring Him into the chaos. May we all invite Him and believe that he will meet us in the chaos.

"Come to me, all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." - Matthew 11:28-30 Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

emily said...

I can't wait for you to come visit us next month in Krasnodar! We're excited!