K and B are in
Last month like most of you I’m sure, they hosted a lot of evangelistic Christmas parties. They were praying for 15 new students to become Christian through these those outreaches. I haven’t heard it went but will edit this once I hear. Like Joel and Claire’s team which we highlighted last week, they are in the midst of focusing on raising up student leaders who will multiply themselves.
More changes are in the works this month for their team as well -- two ICS families will be returning from furloughs. It will be a big adjustment for their team, but they believe that God will help uthem as we blend with new team members. One of the ICS will be the Director instead of B; another change. So we need to hurry up and highlight B! Since B has heard the ‘Leadership Warning’, he knows that it’s not about him so it doesn’t matter that he is going to relinquish the title of 'Team Leader' this month.
It’s not a one-to-one analogy but its sort of like another 'B' who is one of heroes of the faith. Actually his name is Joseph but he was given a nickname by the apostles as Son of Encouragement or Barnabas. This 'B' was also about raising up spiritual multipliers that would rock the world. He had huge influence on two men who wrote most of the NT – Paul and John Mark. Without Barnabas believing in these guys when no one else did, we might not have heard of them. Then we would only have – what like 12 / 13 books in the New Testament.
Here are some highlights of his life and ministry…
- Nicknamed Son of Encouragement by apostles
- Sold a field and brought money and laid it at apostles feet.
- Believed in Saul/Paul when everyone else was scared of him.
- Sent to be pastor of the Antioch church plant - where the term "Christians" was first used.
- Went and got Saul/Paul so they could lead together in Antioch.
- One of the 5 leaders in Antioch. Was called out along with Saul/Paul by Holy Spirit to be first missionaries - first after Jesus, that is.
- Went with Saul/Paul to his home area of
Cyprusand then Asia Minor ( ) launching movements along the way. They took his nephew John Mark as their Sherpa but he deserted them after Turkey . Cyprus
- In Lystra, people thought he was Zeus. (In art, Zeus was usually portrayed as a bearded, middle aged man with a youthful figure. He would look very regal and imposing. In other words… He looked like an older B - if you could see the picture of B!!!
- Along with Paul, in every city, appointed elders from among of these new believers and encouraged the disciples to remain true to the faith.
- Represented the ‘salvation by faith alone’ camp at the council in
- Later was deceived by Peter’s hypocrisy.
- Split with Paul over an HR issue concerning John Mark.
- Took JM back to where he last served them –
. And though not in passage, I believed he helped restore JM who was later useful to Paul. Cyprus
He was a good man. An encourager. Gave generously. There is also no indication from the author Luke that he cared that the order of leadership changed from "Barnabas and Saul" to "Paul and Barnabas". It wasn't about him anyway.
He was full of the Holy Spirit. He worshiped the Lord. Fasted and Prayed. Was sensitive to the Spirit's leading and calling. Went when sent by apostles and when sent by Spirit.
He was (full of) faith. Took risks. Took risks in people others thought were not worth taking risks in.
... a great number of people were brought to the Lord. Not only through his ministry but through those in whom he multiplied his life into.