Saturday, September 22, 2007

Lunch with my Rabbi

Yesterday I had lunch with Pastor Gene or Rabbi Gene since he is a Messianic or Completed Jew. Last Sunday in his sermon he diverted for a moment to plug a new authentic Delicatessen in town: Jimmy and Drew's Delicatessen. So I called him up earlier in the week and we scheduled a lunch together there.

Since Yom Kippur started at sundown last night and since Pastor Appreciation day is in a few weeks, I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone. We had been meaning to get together for a while so we just made it happen.
It's been a hard past year for Gene. Within the last year, Cornerstone has had two staff leave - one because of moral failure and the other because of philosophical differences. We have two key members facing serious life issues of inoperable cancer and Lou Gehrig's disease. About an hour ago, he preformed a funeral of a son of a member who took his own life. I know firsthand how heavy the weight of pastoring can be and how there is always a critic in the crowd too. But the hardest thing this year as been he and Andrea dealing with their adult daughter. I don't know how much it would be fair for me to write here so I will just say its been tough and heartbreaking.

We had a good lunch. Jimmy and Drew's was excellent! Gene and I had great conversation about life and mutually encouraged one another. I have always felt like I connect with Gene. Even from the very first time we met. He is real. He is full of grace. He is a friend.

I didn't get Gene a No-Flak Jacket but was honored to buy him lunch and say "I got your back".

No comments: