Thursday, November 22, 2007

Sweet Potato Casserole

Today we are going to celebrate Thanksgiving with some friends from church. I don't cook that much usually just when its a special occasion. So today I am making my favorite - Sweet Potato Casserole. I decided this year to use my Aunt Ruth's recipe from her book Recipes, Rhymes and Reflections (which I couldn't find on Amazon to link but the isbn is #0-9745741-4-7).

3 cups of mashed sweet potatoes (the slackard that I am used the canned version)
1/2 cup of sugar (I didn't add this since the canned version soaks in syrup.)
1/4 cup of butter
2 eggs
1 tsp of vanilla
(Mine mixture still looked a little dry so I added a 1/4 cup of milk).
Add the topping which I put into a baggie and mixed together (the mixing it in the baggie was my own touch)
1 cup of coconut (I only used 1/2 cup because Robin didn't want me using all of what she had)
3/4 cup of brown sugar
1 cup of pecans (And an extra fistful more than a cup)
1/4 cup of flour
tsp of Cinnamon (not in recipe but Robin suggested it)
and not in the baggy but will be added to topping mix.. 1/4 of melted butter
Will cook in 3 quart casserole dish at the Dupras' house for 30 min @ 375 degrees.
Remove and add Marshmallows (Also not in Aunt Ruth's recipe but you gotta have, as Luke calls them, 'smarshmellows' ) and cook for 5 minutes more...

Hopefully it will look as good as the pic I harvested off of google. (Then again the pic was from a fat-free recipe so its gotta taste better and hopefully almost as good as my aunt's would.) Robin is making another recipe that is a gluten-free, nut-free alternative for the 5 or so who will be there and would die if they ate this. That wouldn't be a good Thanksgiving.

No comments: