Tuesday, August 05, 2008

What Does it Mean to be a Servant

Christ was a servant.

I am struck both those words. He came not to be served but to serve. (Matthew 20:26). He was one among them who served. (Luke 22:27). Though God, He took on the very nature of a servant. (Phil 2:7).




Christ came to serve. If this is true, then if I call himself a follower of Christ, I would be a servant. Jesus was one among them who served. If this true, then to be like Christ, I need to be among others serving. Jesus took on the very nature of a servant. If this is true (and my whole faith is based on it being so) then to know Christ, to understand Him, I must serve and have the same attitude He had.





John says it best in his 1st letter: "This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him?"





To serve. To give. To love.





After spending 12 days in Africa waking up every day with only one thought 'how can I serve'... working and living alongside 16 others with the same thought... not of ourselves... not our agenda... just serving... reacting to the need... responding to the Spirit... giving of ourselves to those in need.... I came to several conclusions. The foremost is that when I serve I understand Jesus. I come to really know Him. I gain a small taste of what He life was like on earth.. every day, every moment.





And... I like myself better. I feel fulfilled. When I serve with others, considering others more important than myself, there are no major conflicts. Our love for one another grows.





I am more in tune with Jesus when I live life not for myself but for Him and for those created in His imagine whom He loves and died for.





I need to serve. I was recreated to serve.

2 comments:

Mark Essenmacher said...

Good post Andy. I have also been looking at the idea of serving/servant/servanthood the last few months.

In your post you said, "Christ came to serve." While your statement is accurate it misses the point that Christ let go of everything he was entitled to, surrendered his total being to the will of the Father, and came to earth to SERVE the FATHER. By serving the Father in total surrender, Christ was used by the Father in visuable ways.

The challenge for me is to be completely surrendered to my Father on a second by second basis so that I may serve Him when he calls me to a task. Somtimes, by serving the Father, there will be a visable difference in the lives of the those around me and other times it won't be so obvious.

Anyway, just a little note from someone who is not so far away anymore.

B.J. Price said...

Thanks for the encouraging post. I love the image that came to my mind when you spoke of serving those in Africa by following Christ's example. It's an amazing thing to know that we can unite better with Christ by following his example. Thanks again.

FYI: I found your blog from persecutionblog.com. I'm glad I did. It encouraged me today. God Bless! B.J.