Wednesday, November 05, 2008

I Resolve

I resolve to...

1. Submit myself to our President's authority and honor and show proper respect to Obama.  Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every authority instituted among men: whether to the king, as the supreme authority, or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right. For it is God's will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men. Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God. Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king. ~ 1 Peter2:13-17   (Also Romans 13:1-7)

I resolve to speak well of our President.  To believe the best.  To not adhere quickly to internet rumors nor words of fear.  If my brothers & sisters who lived (and live) under persecution can show respect to their leaders and honor their King, I resolve that I can too.  I know as an American our history is born out of rebellion to authority but I resolved that I am a follower of Christ more than an American and I resolve to follow the one who when beaten spoke nothing in his defense.


2. Pray for our President.  
 I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all men—the testimony given in its proper time. - 1 Tim 2:1-6.

God our Savior wants Barack Obama, who has said he is not sure where he is going when he dies, to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth.  Christ Jesus gave himself as a ransom for all and therefore Obama, Biden, Nancy Pelosi, George W Bush, Osama bin Linden... all.   I resolve to pray daily for Obama that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.    I pray that the Lord will grant us as followers of Christ to have favor with the King and that the proclamation of the true message of hope not be hindered.


3. To Care for and be concerned for the Justice of the Poor, the Fatherless, the Widow, the Foreigneer, and the Oppressed... including the Unborn.
He (Shallum - King of Judah) says, 'I will build myself a great palace with spacious upper rooms.'  So he makes large windows in it, panels it with cedar and decorates it in red.    "Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar? Did not your father (Josiah) have food and drink? He did what was right and just, so all went well with him.   He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well.  Is that not what it means to know me?" declares the LORD.   "But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain, on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion." - Jer 22:14-17

My great fear today is that the community of believers will turn their back on their poor and needy as we see government handouts increase.  Our hearts can easily grow cold toward those we perceive as gettingsomething for nothing or we hear myths of the 'Welfare Mother'.   I also know that when times are tough we turn our backs on the poor and needy outsdie our borders too.  Forgetting that we live in unbelievable wealth buying things for ourselves while others suffer in great hunger and need.   May we live as people whodemonstrate that we know Him by defending the cause of the poor and needy.  I resolve to live that way.

I resolve also to pray that, even though his limited voting record does not show it and his party that is in control has never stood for the rights of the unborn, President Obama will awaken to the cries of the unborn and will lead our nation to a common ground in the abortion issue that will limit the shedding of innocent blood.

4. Have Great Love for all.
"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. - Matt 5:43-48

I resolve to love unconditionally those who might be my enemies:  those on other side of political persuation, those who oppress things I hold dear, those who hate followers of Christ, those who seek an agenda for our nation that is contrary to heart of God, those who openly flaunt their lifestyle that is contrary to God's plan, those outside of our nation who seek to destroy us and on and on.   I know that this love can only come from the covenant loving realtionship with the One who loves the world and gave himself up for all.   So I therefore resolve to seek to understand how God views people and allow His Spirit to change my heart.   For I know that anyone can love those who look like them and think that them... even tax collectors and pagans do that.  I resolve that God is calling me to a higher love of words and action.  

1 comment:

Van said...

Hi Andy, I am a visitor, but it appears we share the same passion for the lord. Thanks for this ariticle it was a very good reminder.
Van Dowdy