Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Protecting the Innocent

Last night I went to a parents meeting at Luke's school.  Today and tomorrow the kindergarten classes had (will have) talks presented by folks from CAP.  I am glad his school is doing these presentations to help Luke and other kids be safe, and learn to steps to empower themselves against bullies and predators.  But I am disturbed that he needs this because our world is such as it is.

Last night, sitting with 6 other parents.  (There are about 40 Kindergartners so not sure what happened to the rest of the parents.), I fought back tears and anger as the presenter shared stories and sobering statistics.  

What kind of world do we live in where 1 out of every 3-4 girls and 1 out of every 4-6 boys will be sexually assaulted by their 18th birthday?  Or where 90% of these assaults will be perpetrated by someone known or trusted person?  Or that almost 83% of victims are abused by their own parent either alone or with someone else?

I want this to stop!  This is not the way it should be.  The innocent should be the ones we protect the most.  Millions of kids innocence are being stripped at the perverted pleasure of others.  It's sick.  It's wrong.   And its common in every nation and among every race and among every social-economic status.

I don't want my sons to be a statistic, to be victimized, to have their innocence stripped.  I don't want this for any child.  

"Lord, may you protect the innocent.  May you crush the oppressors.  May it your justice reign.  May we see an end to the innocent being exploited.  May your kingdom come, your will be done.  May it be on earth as it is in heaven...  where there is no pain, suffering, abuse."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sobering and moving. thanks for the reminder that this is a call to prayer.

Andy McCullough said...

Thanks Francince! (it was huge relief to talk with Luke about this and know he has not been hurt in this way - bullied yes but not abused. You just never know.)

Ironically after I posted this God has taken me to mediatate on the psalms. As a father, I can pray Psalm 10 with passion... esp v.12-18 NLT version( And since most abuse is done by men and within the family, maybe we should redefine'orphans'.) It's so filled with passion I think I will just post it.