Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Leading in uncertainty - Ann

Ann Hrivnak (pictured on the far right with her team) is in London. She and the team she is leading are working at the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) which is one of the top universities in the world. The potential to reach the world with the life-changing message of Jesus Christ through reaching students while they are at LSE is huge because more than half of the student body is from other countries.

Ann shared with me several materials that Agape UK has developed ('Connect' and 'Living Online') has really helped in their vision of seeing students grow in their faith and share it with others. If you want to check it out and see if it might be of use where you are you can find them on the Agape UK resource page.

About where she is Ann wrote, “I have seen God provide so abundantly and in such a clear way that I know that He desires for me to invest this coming year in the lives of staff and students in London. That does not mean, though, that it is without a lot of moments of uncertainty, confusion, and blurry vision. I spent the last 3 years working on the campus of New York University. I understood my role there and knew the city, my team, the campus, and the students well. In light of that, it has been hard to be in a place of newness and yet have a role of leadership within my team, where people are asking me what to do. Because of that, though, I have felt the desperation for the Lord's guidance and moment-by-moment leading that is continually true and yet often forgotten.”

Can you relate?

Someone else who maybe experienced some of this same uncertainty as he was thrust into a new leadership role was Joshua. Think about it for 40 years he knew his role in the nation of Israel. He was Moses’ Sherpa. Now Moses died and left him boss. He was in charge of leading this team (a big spanking team). This was a team that had a history of complaining too. He was being asked to lead them to this new location. I guess he had been there on a 40 day vision trip but that was 40 years prior. Throw in the added bonus that the land was occupied and the first place he leads them after crossing the Jordan is to the walled city of Jericho.

Believe it or not, from what I have read, you and I are closer in chronological time to Joshua than Joshua was to the day the walls first were built in Jericho. When Joshua and his marching band of trumpeters showed up Jericho had been a walled city for almost 5000 years. (One of my sources on dates is the chronology in this book I am currently reading. ) This is no neat little Sunday School story with a catchy tune but a leadership situation that probably brought some high levels of uncertainty in his own ability.

Four times in the first chapter, the command to Joshua was “be strong and courageous”. I don’t think it was some ‘suck it up, be a man and just lead’ though. There was a reason for Joshua to be strong and courageous. He was not alone. God was with Him wherever he went.

To you and I the promise is still the same. He is with us to the end. Be faithful, be full of faith, go for it, lead with courage. He is with you.

The other factor for Joshua to be strong and courageous was that the victory was promised. It was the promised land after all. We have a similar promise. I don’t know if this will be the year that the walls come tumbling down in London (or London bridge for that matter; though Ann is a fair lady.) I don’t know if the walls where you are will come tumbling down either --- but he can make them fall and maybe they will fall this year as His Spirit mightly moves.

We do know with assurance however that one day people from every tribe and tongue will stand before the throne. We do know that one day every knee will bow and every tongue confess that He is Lord. And maybe this year He wants you to courageously lead desperately depending on Him knowing that He will guide you. Posted by Picasa

No comments: