Sunday, April 08, 2007

Egg Hunts in Colorado



Okay I have to say that I don't get Easter Egg hunts in Colorado. Not much hunting is involved at all. It's just one mad free-for-all! Like future little Christmas shoppers on the day after Thanksgiving.

Instead of hiding them, they just rope off a section of a lawn and place them out in the open and let the kids go hog wild and they are all gone in less than a minute.
A couple of Saturdays ago we went to one at one in Waneka Park at Lafayette. It was a madhouse! We got there right as the hunt was about to start so I dropped off Robin and the boys and went to find a place to park the van. By the time I parked and walked back, it was over. Robin said she barely made it to the 3-4 year old section for Luke. Jack and Drew never got out of their strollers. I didn't even know Boulder County had that many kids.

Saturday I was driving Luke to a friend's house and we passed another 'hunt' in a field near a school. Same thing, they roped off sections and the eggs were right in the open. Then we went to an Easter festival put on by this local church where he goes to AWANAs on Thursday nights. Same thing. Except we showed up and just saw empty eggs on that school lawn. Sort of sad, we just walked by without saying a word.... Maybe they were left that way to respresent the empty tomb.

Why even call it an "Easter Egg Hunt"? Robin said maybe they do in a field here because there are no trees. Makes sense I guess. But unless they are hunting the green eggs in the grass, its not a hunt. I n my day, they hid them under bushes and hollows of trees. Finding the prize egg was something special. Now its just the most agressive bully wins.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with what you are saying. I had a bad experience last year at one of the easter egg hunts I took my 3 year old to. It was a mad house at all of them but at this particular one there were more 7 and 8 year olds than 3 year old kids. They roped off age sections like everyone does. Accept at this one the older kids were done fast and began to swarm over to the little kid section. Nobody did anything about it. When I was filming these big 7 and 8 year olds ran and got directly in front of my son knocking him down as well as others. I thought that was really rude.
I hope one of these days they will have a real egg hunt where the eggs will be hidden and not in an open field. Thank you maybe our word out and more comments can help change the way these egg hunts are done.