Tuesday, June 19, 2007

10 Commandments for Drivers

Seems the Vatican has released a 10 Commandments for drivers. I wonder how I score...

1. You shall not kill. Haven't killed anyone unless you count squirrels or we go the Sermon on the Mount route. I have often had anger in my heart. DOH!

2. The road shall be for you a means of communion between people and not of mortal harm. Again depends on which definition of murder we are going with. I have had some communion but sometimes it includes words like 'you idiot, learn to drive!' Guess I am guilty again. Doh!

3. Courtesy, uprightness and prudence will help you deal with unforeseen events. Oh man better not let my Farmer's Insurance Agent see this! You know he is Catholic so he would love this list.

4. Be charitable and help your neighbor in need, especially victims of accidents. I have never come upon an accident except one where emergency personal were already there or the one time I was the victim. Long story... brakes gave out on the 1950's truck I was driving for my job as a chimney sweep in college. Covered with soot as the van landed on its side in a ditch, the paramedics thought I was a burn victim.

5. Cars shall not be for you an expression of power and domination, and an occasion of sin. What statement of power and domination does a 93 Camry with 150,000 miles have? I have a cassette player and my windows need to be rolled up manually.

6. Charitably convince the young and not so young not to drive when they are not in a fitting condition to do so. I have told Luke more than once that he is in too young of a condition to drive.

7. Support the families of accident victims. I like this one sort of visiting widows and orphans in their distress which is pure and undefiled religion.

8. Bring guilty motorists and their victims together, at the appropriate time, so that they can undergo the liberating experience of forgiveness. Can't say I have ever done this.

9. On the road, protect the more vulnerable party. Hmmm. I guess I shouldn't complain about older slow drivers or distracted soccer moms with screaming kids.

10. Feel responsible toward others. Man, I need a confession. I think I will take the bus the rest of the week as penance.

Last thought: I wonder if Charleston Heston as Moses would have comdemned Charleston Heston as Ben Hur for his careless chariot driving?




1 comment:

Ruth said...

Enjoyed reading your comments ao the Ten Commandments for Drivers. Also the one about your plumbing problems yesterday. Reading about your escapades with three active little boys is a joy...makes being OLD and retired not so bad after all!!! Seriously every phase of life is a great joy... Wish i lived close enough to you to baby sit...well ocassionally...I know Sis would love getting to know those precious little boys...