Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Living in a Cage to Protest Injustice

I learned about this gal from UK, Abby Davies, who is going to live in a cage in the foyer of her church to protest the unjust imprisonment of a Chinese lady, Mao Hengfeng. Mao was imprisoned and tortured because she would not submit to an abortion and peacefully protested. Officially she is imprisoned for destroying property (two lamps).


I like Abby's style... ‘I’d like people to tell their friends about her and take the letters that they can sign,’ says Abby. ‘My aim is basically to help this lady; I think that’s what Jesus would want.’ Abby’s inspiration was a verse from Luke: ‘He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners.’ (Luke 4.18). ‘I want to let people know that God cares for people who are oppressed and that, as Christians, we care about those people,’ she says. ‘I’d like to ask Christians to pray for them.’

The past week, I have been reading this book, True Grit: Women Taking On the World for God's Sake . I got it free off of OM's website. The author has inter-mingled stories of women missionaries with stats of women's conditions around the world. The stats are startling. Not the coziest book to read before bed, I guess. It's a small book which I could read in a day if I didn't keep stopping because I can only take so much of the reality of the injustice worldwide.

Truly the most vulnerable and oppressed people around the globe are women and children. May we be more like Abby do what we can to bring hope to the hopeless. May God hear the cries of the oppressed and come down to rescue them like He did the Israelites. (I am also reading Exodus this month.)

No comments: