Thursday, October 04, 2007

I will be the one wearing a Hat

Yesterday morning, I told Robin that I was going to get a haircut. She said she would cut it for me.

It was a struggle in my soul. On one hand I like going to Sportsclips because i can watch Sports while getting a haircut. We don't have cable so I could go in the afternoon and watch the Rockies and Phillies playoff game.

On the other hand, our finances have been a little tight of late. Ever since the plumbing disaster in June, when we have come to the end of the month and start of a new one, there hasn't seemed to be much margin. And we have a long list of things that need to be fixed that we have no money to spend on. So by having Robin cut my hair would save us a little money that we need for things like food, diapers, paying the electric bill, bringing out an electrician to fix the wiring that I tried to fix, etc.

I still was weighing the pros and cons and leaning toward Sportsclips and watching the game so I drove to work rather than taking the bus. But my boss called me as I was pulling out of the office parking lot in the afternoon and I got distracted and forget about going by Sportsclips.

When I walked in the house, I saw Jack and Drew's haircuts and remembered Robin's offer. So I asked if after dinner she would cut mine. Thus the evening family entertainment was daddy getting his hair cut out on the deck as the boys watched.

I should have examined Jack and Drew's a little more closely....

Long story short... I think I will sacrifice a lunch or two in the future in order to get a better haircut. Or perhaps instead of Huggies we could use an old newspaper for a diaper. That would serve a dual purpose. Jack and Drew get a diaper and learn to read at the same time.

Seeing Robin's handiwork in the mirror that usally sits next to the fishbowl to trick our fish Salty into thinking he is not alone, I did an impulsive thing and thought 'the only way to fix this is to buzz it down'. So my hair is completely buzzed like it was when Robin and I first met almost 10 years ago.

So that's another way to avoid spending $12. I guess I can afford to give the boys real diapers this morning.

Shoot, I just realized that I need to renew my passport and for the next 10 years my mug will have this cut.

6 comments:

Steve Van Diest said...

I want a picture

Andy McCullough said...

If you have a camera on your desk we can take one when your OPs meeting has a break.

Nikki said...

A picture is definitely required here. Poor Robin! Her heart was in the right place but perhaps her scissors weren't :) Men have three hairstyles: parted, unparted and departed and my husband's has mostly departed so there's no hair cut trouble in our family. So...it could be worse! Yours will grow back!

Anonymous said...

hilarious!

yeah add me to the list of people petitioning for a picture.

and the newspaper for diapers thing is clever...although you could just potty train them like you paper train a puppy and then you never have to buy diapers again. and you still get to use the newspaper idea.

Jane said...

Oh Andy, that is TOO funny. Well, you are no better than the rest of us with our TERRIBLE passport photos!!!
BUT, if you are every in my neck of the woods, I can cut your hair, I do Warren's all the time! But, then again, he doesn't have much!

Joan said...

At least you could have posted a pic!

Ah, now I see your other readers had the same thought. I'm glad that you have a good attitude about it -- and passport pics are supposed to be awful! Mine still shows me 80 pounds heavier than I am now!