Friday, January 23, 2009

Those who Mourn

"Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted." - Jesus

After Jesus stated "Blessed are the Poor in Spirit", he continued to lay out what living in the Kingdom of God looks like.  

Those who Mourn
To grieve, to wail, to lament... over a lose, a regret, sin.   Abraham mourned for Sarah, Jacob over his son, Bathsheba over Uriah, David over Absalom and Rachel over her children who were no more.  Godly men mourned for Stephen


Jesus wept over Jerusalem.  "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were unwilling!"  When He returns, all the peoples of the earth will mourn because of Him - the One pierced for all.

Will be Comforted
One day there will be no more mourning.  Be even now in the Kingdom, under the reign of the King, there is comfort.  He came to heal the brokenhearted, to comfort those who mourn, to provide for those who grieve.  Comfort.  He is the God of all Comfort, the Prince of Peace.  We can enter His rest.

Blessed
Do I mourn?  Do I weep over injustice?  For the unborn?  For those living under oppression? For those without hope?  Over my own sin, my own pride, my own wretchedness?  Do I grieve and lament because the world is not the way it should be?  Is my heart broken?  Do I grieve as I would if I lost a son or my wife?

Jesus wept over Jerusalem... a city that kill prophets, a city that would kill him.  He wept because they were unwilling to surrender to His Kingship...  Does He weep over me?

No comments: